Basic cornbread recipe that you can make either sweet or savoury!
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp butter (ish)
- 2 cups AP flour
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup golden brown sugar
- 2.5 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp baking pow
- 4 eggs
- 1.5 cup mayo/sour cream
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 bunch fresh sage/thyme
- ~1/2 cup cheddar
- 2 thinly sliced jalapeños
- Honey or maple syrup for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Brown butter, then pour over sage (or other herbs you want), let cool a bit
- Take some of butter and grease 12 inch cast iron
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, light brown sugar, salt, baking pow (large ish bowl)
- Whisk eggs and mayo together (med bowl)
- Whisk while streaming in buttermilk
- Whisk while streaming in browned butter
- Fold wet ingredients into dry until just combined
- Pour into pan, smooth top (add the cheddar and jalapeños on top if you want)
- Bake til crispy/browned edges and top is sunflower yellow (~35 min)
- Let cool a few mins
I used a 12 inch cast iron, but you can use it with any size round baking dish. If you’re using a 9 inch pan, halve the recipe, then cook at 400F for 20-25 minutes.
The herbs give a fairly strong flavour so use less if you don’t want it to be so dominant.
Good toasted with butter, really good paired with chili!
Adapted from: alison roman and Joshua Weissman