Potato kugel edit
Crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside. Also MUCH easier with a food processor!
- 4 pounds russet potato
- 1 large onion (white or yellow)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (just for mild flavour, but increase this if you want strong garlic)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ~10 tbsp duck fat, chicken fat, butter, or vegetable oil
- I usually use ~8 tbsp butter, ~2 tbsp oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup green onion, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Peel and grate potatoes and onion (either with box grater or shredder attachment of food processor)
- Using either hands or a cheesecloth, squeeze as much liquid as physically possible for maximum crispiness
- Do this in small batches
- Add eggs, spices, salt/pep, garlic, and 5-6 tbsp of whatever fat you’re using to dried potatoes and onions
- Heat enough oil/fat in a 10” cast iron skillet (or other oven safe pan) to coat bottom of pan
- If using butter, add 1 tbsp butter once pan is preheated
- Add mixture to pan, being careful not to press down
- Cook on medium for 10-15 minutes until bottom is lightly browned
- Don’t take it too far, as it will still cook in the oven
- Add 2-3 more tbsp of butter/fat/oil to brush over the top of the potatoes, and put it into the preheated oven
- Bake until top is deep golden brown and the inside is fully cooked, 45-50 minutes
- Top with green onion, flaky salt, and more pepper
If you want to make this in advance, you can either:
- Just brown the bottom and only cook in the oven before serving
- Only cook about it in the oven for 30 minutes, then reheat in the oven and cook until crispy before serving
- Brush with more butter before adding back to oven
If you want more of the creamy inside, use a smaller diameter pan and if you want more of the crispy outside, use a bigger one! Adjust cook time and oven temperature as needed.
It’s really great with apple sauce and/or sour cream!
Adapted from alison roman’s recipe.